Scrapie Genotype Testing by SRUC
As a result of proposed changes to the Scrapie Monitoring Scheme, Council have decided that entries at GB Society Sales will only be permitted from Scrapie Monitoring Scheme flocks, or consignments that have been tested ARR/ARR by SRUC. The Society has agreed a process with SRUC for batch testing in advance of sales and any members participating in this will be charged £17.50 & VAT for each sheep tested (subject to change when SRUC revise their fees). Members can also avail of this service throughout the year, but please note that as tests are submitted in batches, response times will vary.
NB this is an additional test. It does not replace the current registration process with the Nasal Swabs etc.
- Breeder should download the SRUC Scrapie Genotyping submission form from the Suffolk Sheep Society website CLICK HERE FOR SUBMISSION FORM or by contacting the office either by telephone (028 2563 2342) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Breeder should contact approved vet to sample the sheep (EDTA blood samples).
- The veterinary surgeon, who samples the sheep, should complete the SRUC Scrapie Genotyping submission form. The SRUC Limit of Liability section of the form should be signed (acknowledged) by the owner or agent for the sheep.
- Send the blood sample and the SRUC Scrapie Genotyping submission form to Suffolk Sheep Society GB Collection Centre C/O N Cormack, Dairy Cottage, Tower Road, Ayton, Berwickshire TD14 5QX.
- The Society will check that the forms are completely correctly, transfer the data to the Scrapie Genotyping batch spreadsheet (detailing the sampling date, UK Flock Number, Society tag number, DOB, sex) and submit batch of samples to SRUC for testing.
- SRUC will complete tests and return results to Suffolk Sheep Society by email, and hard copy Certificates will be sent to the Society by post. Turnaround time expected to be approximately three weeks.
- The Society will distribute the results and certificates to the respective breeders.
NB For Testing in advance of Sales, samples MUST be received at Suffolk Sheep Society GB Collection Centre C/O N Cormack, Dairy Cottage, Tower Road, Ayton, Berwickshire, TD14 5QX by 31st May at the latest.