Statement from Royal Welsh Show last week
The Royal Welsh Show, the UK’s biggest agricultural event, will go ahead as usual and there is no truth in rumours that it will be cancelled because of the wet weather, the Royal Welsh Agricultural Society said today.
“Everything is in place for a bumper event and we are looking forward to four full days of activity at Llanelwedd,” said RWAS Chief Executive, David Walters.
“It is quite incredible how talk of cancellation spreads but I want to assure everyone that calling off the show is not on the agenda,” he said.
“The show will be opened by the European Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, Dacian Ciolos, on Monday July 23 and we are looking forward to welcoming thousands of visitors during the course of show week.”
The society is confident that the investment of more than £200,000 on improvements to the main ring making it more resistant to bad weather will ensure that it will withstand any exceptional conditions that may arise.
“The car parks have been cleared of silage and we are laying additional tracking. We are using vast quantities already and more is being kept on standby for use if necessary,” said Mr Walters.
“There are still 12 days to go before the show and we are keeping our fingers crossed that by then we shall get better weather and that the sun will shine on Llanelwedd.”
A company Limited by Guarantee, no. 22684 © Suffolk Sheep Society Ltd :: Charity No: 211348 :: OSCR No. SC043459